I have been concerned about Ailyn's development for a few weeks now. I talked to her pediatrician and he made me feel a lot better. He doesn't expect Ailyn to be meeting 5 month milestones, he wants her to be in the 3-4 month range.I was told by the doctor (and my Mom) that we have to give her the 3 months that she was in the hospital, she didn't have the normal start on life.She spent weeks trying to survive. So I have been trying to say this to myself over and over and give her a break! If I had to put an age on her I would say she was 4.5 months old. I also brought up my concerns to her therapist. She agreed that Ailyn is a little developmentally behind in some areas. Socially, she exceeds her adjusted age, she has always been very social. We have been working on reaching for objects. She is grabbing more and more but it's not in a controlled way. We work on rolling, she can roll from her tummy to back. She does not seem the least bit interested in rolling to her side and over. We practice playing on her side, but she fights us.We do daily "therapy" with her, which is playtime. We have never pushed her to do more. When she is tired she will let you know :) Her therapist said there is nothing wrong (like Cerebral Palsy) she is just delayed.
It's so hard not to worry about each and every milestone. And, when she meets the milestone, it's a relief instead of happiness. I did this with Camden as well, he was always exactly 5 weeks behind. Last night I looked at baby pictures (awww) of Camden at Ailyn's adjusted age. The pictures were very similar to what she is doing and WOW do they look so much alike! So if this is true, she will be sitting and creeping like a pro at 6 months.Ailyn will start having therapy every week now to help her a little more. I can not say enough great stuff about the Infant and Toddler program here. They are amazing people and so caring to your child's needs. We are super lucky to have them in our lives.
Ailyn has found the cats. She will stop what she is doing and just stare. Last night was the first night she grabbed Raegan's hair. She was very interested. Raegan our fossil, is so good with MY kids (hates other kids). Our other cat, Rage is not that into the kids but has been showing interest in Ailyn!
Camden is working on letter S this week. We have a ton of projects to do. He is really starting to understand letter sounds make words. He is catching on really quick. Aaron and I are looking into schools for next year. With Ailyn's medical bills, it might be hard to afford the school we really wanted. If anyone has suggestions for schools in the area, please email me!!*** I am fully aware that the Johnny Jump-up that Ailyn is in is not good for preemies. She is never in it long enough to worry. Her therapist said it actually might help with her shallow bone in her hip. *****