I was able to get Ailyn an ENT appointment right away. The ENT was great. She looked at her tongue and agreed it's needs to be "clipped". Ailyn's GI and therapist from the hospital talked to this doctor before her appointment. I really love how her doctors and therapists work together. It shows us that they really care about the best interest of Ailyn.We chose to do the outpatient surgery. She explained how she would do it in the office and we immediately knew we didn't want that option. The parents help hold the baby down, there is a ton of blood (because it's the mouth) and it's traumatizing for the child. We do not want to put Ailyn through anything stressful at this point if we don't have to. Another reason is that Ailyn is at the age where she might be too old to do it in the office. Being 9 months, she has more nerves and they don't recommend it.
We are hoping to get her in as soon as possible. The doctor is checking her schedule.
The doctor did a scope down Ailyn's nose. THAT was traumatizing for me! I couldn't hold her, I had to ask a nurse too. I could never watch the feeding tube get put in. I can't stand seeing her cry that hard. The great news is her nose and throat look great! She did see some congestion (not a cold) and will follow up with her to keep an eye on it.
As for the possible VPI, it's too early to tell. Ailyn has never had drainage out of her nose or recurring ear infections. Those are markers for the VPI. She will also keep an eye on her for this.
A few of you have asked....
Why didn't they catch this earlier?
I also had that question when we first found out. I wanted to blame someone for maybe causing my baby to suffer through feedings for 9 months. I wanted to scream at every person that has said Ailyn is too small and were so close to putting a feeding tube in her. It took me a few days to calm down and realize that we are doing the best thing for Ailyn. We are in a very highly rated hospital that is known for it's care. And, I agree.
We were told her size might have been an issue when she in the NICU and for the first few months home. It was just missed. The way I feel about it now is that we found it now, not later on when it might cause her speech delays. I am willing to help Ailyn in every way possible.
Are you sure she is getting the best care?
FOR SURE! Read above... From Ailyn's very first day we have been very fortunate that she has had the best care. All her doctors and nurses care for her, and I can tell she is not "just another baby". They treat her as one. And, believe me! We speak up if we do not like care she is getting. Daddy and Mommy have had to put our foot down before.....and we will again! ;) So no worries! I appreciate the worries. Makes me s happy to know she has so many Mommy and Daddies out there!
Any other questions please email me or message me here. I will keep you updated!