Ailyn has a vision teacher through the School of the Blind. Anne Marie has worked very hard with me to get Ailyn to wear her glasses. But, Anne Marie has done much more than that. It was her idea to get a second opinion with another eye doctor. She even comes along with us to her appointments. I am very thankful to have her part of our team!
Anne Marie has access to a really neat light sensory room at the school for the blind. So today Ailyn and I got up early to play. It was a really neat room. All sorts of lights and vibrations. Ailyn really enjoyed it.
We decided to go with the new eye doctor. The other doctor was not being proactive enough and I always felt like we were at a standstill with very little answers. The new doctor gave Ailyn glasses to wear for a couple months to see if it helps with her Esotropia (eye crossing). We put drops in her eyes to dilate BOTH eyes for one week. And, now we are putting the drops in her good eye TWICE a week. This SHOULD make Ailyn want to wear her glasses. Her glasses will counter act the effects of the drops. The drops enlarge the pupil and blurs her vision. The glasses reduce the blurriness.
It's been a very big challenge to keep the glasses on Ailyn. We started with only wearing them while we read books. She learned very quick that she HAS to have them on to read books. Now I follow her around throughout the day picking the glasses up off the floor and putting them back on.... every 5 minutes. It's not getting easier. I think she likes them because she does ASK for them to put back on. This is where Anne Marie has been very helpful and supportive. She has been my cheerleader. Texting me throughout the week to see how it's going and giving me ideas. She comes over to the house once a week also.
With persistence and patience on my part I hope Ailyn will start wearing her glasses full time very soon. If not I will have to start drinking.




